Area of expertise
EU & Competition law
Experienced team in EU & competition law
Competition law aims to maintain a good and healthy competition in the market, which is central to a well-functioning economy. However, the competition rules do not merely imply risks to companies but also provide opportunities. Our specialists have many years of experience in assisting clients in realizing and optimizing their operations within the framework of Swedish as well as EU and international competition rules.
Setterwalls’ specialists in EU and competition law provide high quality advice on issues such as:
- Notifications and reviews of foreign direct investments (FDI).
- Notifications and consultation procedures according to the Protective Security Act (PSA).
- Notifications of and compliance surrounding foreign subsidies (FSR).
- Free movement of goods and services.
- Analysis and notification of company acquisitions, mergers and joint ventures to the Swedish Competition Authority (Konkurrensverket) or the European Commission.
- Negotiation, preparation, reviews and risk assessment of agreements (eg. distribution agreements, license agreements and cooperation agreements) and business strategies. Examples of issues that are regularly dealt with are the design of competition clauses, price and discount systems as well as purchasing and delivery terms.
- Review and establishment of selective distribution systems.
- Establishment of competition policies.
- Implementation of tailored compliance programs and training packages.
- Assistance and advice in relation to industry and sector inquiries.
- Development of policies and training regarding how a potential dawn raid should be handled by the company.
- Assistance at dawn raids and subsequent investigation.
- Assistance in investigations conducted by the Swedish Competition Authority, the European Commission or another competition authority, such as cartel investigations, investigations of abuse of dominant position and investigations regarding anti-competitive sales activities by public entities.
- Assistance and counseling in relation to leniency applications.
- Assistance in court proceedings related to EU and competition law, for example cases related to administrative fines, prohibitions, nullity/voidness of agreements and damages.
- Contacts with the European Commission, the Swedish Competition Authority and other authorities.
- Regulatory issues related to life sciences, namely medicines, medical technology, cosmetics and health care (read more under Life Sciences).
- Regulatory issues related to other industries such as food, consumer goods, energy, games and lotteries, carrier and telecommunications, and export control issues (read more under Compliance & Investigations).
Setterwalls’ specialists in EU and competition law also assist public and private players with advice in relation to EU state aid law, in matters such as:
- Advice on the state aid regulations and the related rules on support to businesses in the Swedish Local Government Act (kommunallagen).
- Notification procedures for approval of state aid and complaints procedures in relation to the Ministry of Industry and Innovation (Näringsdepartementet) and the European Commission.
Several of the specialists in our team have previously worked within the EU institutions, courts and competition authorities and we have an extensive network of contacts.
We regularly provide training for clients, hold seminars and participate in the debate on current topics in EU and competition law.
Swedish and international clients
Among our clients you will find government agencies, municipalities, industry organizations, many of the country’s leading companies and leading international groups.
We regularly work nationally and internationally and have well-established relationships with other leading law firms in Europe, the United States and other parts of the world. This enables us to work smoothly with colleagues working in other jurisdictions in cross-border cases.
Read more about us: