Area of expertise
Team with long experience
Setterwall’s insurance team has extensive expertise in almost all areas of insurance law. Thanks to our specialists’ long experience in assisting clients with insurance law advice, the team has good understanding of both the Swedish and the international insurance market. For many years, Setterwalls has provided specialized expertise in marine and transport insurance, especially P&I insurance. Setterwalls insurance specialists are frequently hired lecturers in a variety of insurance law areas. Our insurance team works in close cooperation with Setterwalls’ other teams in insurance-related assignments such as dispute resolution and competition law.
We continuously assist our clients with:
- Interpretation of insurance terms
- Assisting as acting agents in national and international insurance and reinsurance disputes connection
- Assisting as acting agents in litigation disputes in, for example, product and contractual damages
- Preparing and executing the acquisitions or sales of insurance companies or insurance portfolios
- Conducting investigations and providing legal support on insurance regulatory issues and at contacts with Sweden’s financial supervisory authority (Finansinspektionen)
- Consultancy regarding marine and transport insurance matters
- Establishing and negotiating insurance terms, for example in connection with M&A transactions, board liability issues and logistics insurance
- Counseling in complicated claims settlement matters, for example regarding product damage, liability damage, construction damage and major property damage
- Restructuring procedures regarding insurance companies through divisions and mergers etc.
- Advice pertaining to regulatory matters visavi the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority pertaining to inter alia ownership assessment and ownership management assessment
Broad industry knowledge
Setterwalls’ insurance team advices Swedish and international companies and insurance companies operating in a number of different areas of the insurance industry, such as:
- Non-life insurance companies
- Maritime and transport law insurers
- Life insurance companies
We also assist owners of insurance and reinsurance brokers with acquisitions and sales of insurance companies and insurance holdings and are well positioned to represent our principals with insurance technical advice in, among other things, contract negotiations within the framework of an M&A process. Moreover, Setterwalls assists in the process of Finansinspektionen’s owner and owner management tests during acquisition processes and thus acts as sole legal advisor in transactions involving acquisitions or sales of Swedish insurance companies and insurance portfolios.
Åke J. Fors, Johannes Ericson, Magnus Rydberg